Find Out More: Get the DisplayPort Overview Presentations
It’s the industry replacement for outmoded display technologies such as DVI, LVDS and VGA and it’s currently being built into all new PC chipsets, GPU’s and display controllers from major silicon manufacturers. DisplayPort utilizes a state-of-the-art digital protocol and provides an expandable foundation to enable amazing digital display experiences. Designed for low power implementation and high performance, DisplayPort enables the next generation display technology while providing compatibility with existing equipment. Designed specifically for usage in space-constrained applications applications like ultra-thin notebooks, netbooks and graphic cards where connector space is at a premium and where display performance really matters.
DisplayPort is designed to be the future-ready, scalable solution for high performance digital display connectivity. It enables the highest resolutions, the fastest refresh rates and deepest color depths over standard cables.
DisplayPort has unique features and capabilities that enable exciting new types of displays and display usages. And it doesn’t require PC owners to replace all of their equipment because simple adaptors allow DisplayPort enabled devices to connect to monitors and projectors that use older technologies such as DVI, HDMI and VGA.
Important features of DisplayPort 1.2:
- Next Generation Revolutionary Display Interface Technology
- Micro-packet architecture over 1- 4 lanes
- Up to 5.4 Gbps per lane–21.6 Gbps over 4 lanes
- Auxiliary channel for bidirectional data communications at 1 Mbps/ 720 Mbps Optional
- Powered connectors (providing up to 1.5W)
- Multiple display support–63 separate AV streams supported from a single connector
- Scalable for large and small devices, displays, and cables
- Designed Specifically for High Performance Graphics and Flat Panel Displays
- Low voltage compatibility for integration into the latest chipsets, GPU’s and display controllers
- Low power and scalable lanes for integration directly in LCD panels
- Low EMI and RFI
- Compact external connector with optional latching
- Mini DisplayPort connector is space efficient for high performance for laptops, netbooks and multi-output graphics cards
- Long Cable Support
- Up to 15 meters and beyond
- Higher bandwidth active cables and hybrid cables also available (utilize DP power pin)
- High Performance is Standard
- Beyond high definition; WQXGA at 10 bit color
- Beyond Full HD 3D stereo support at 120hz
- DP v1.2 enables High Color Range Quad Full HD delivered over a standard DisplayPort connector (up to 4K x 2K at 60 FPS and 24 bpp)
- Ultra-low Latency for super fast response
- High performance over standard cables
- Enables Exciting New Display Designs
- Unique direct drive monitor (DDM) capability enables ultra-thin monitors
- Audio and HDCP enable high definition content playback and built-in speakers on multi-function displays
- Ubiquitous Connectivity to Any Display
- Interoperability with DVI and HDMI signaling over DisplayPort Connector
- Compatibility with existing displays via simple adapters
- Dual-mode DisplayPort PCs can be connected to DVI, VGA and HDMI monitors and projectors.
- Reduces Wiring and enables Higher Performance in Laptops
- Embedded DisplayPort (eDP) enables lighter weight internal cabling
- Embedded DisplayPort reduces system power enabling longer notebook battery life
- Enables higher-performance notebook LCDs for emerging applications such as 3D stereo, 120Hz refresh rates and the deepest color depths
*VGA requires a separate converter device. DVI and HDMI supported only when DisplayPort source device has DP++ capability, and require a separate adaptor. Full DisplayPort resolution not supported on non-DisplayPort devices.